Best Charter Fishing in Rhode Island
Rhode Island “the Ocean State” offers unsurpassed fishing for mixed bag species such as Atlantic Cod, Black Sea Bass, Tautog, & Scup. These are amongst the finest eating fish and allows anglers bountiful catches.
If traveling from far you can get a great rate. You must MENTION REFERENCED BY ISLAND CURRENT FLEET, CAPT. CHRIS at
Aquastar Inn at Westerly
Please contact Mita at 401.596.2892
$75 1 bedroom
$100 2 bedroom
Phil & Ann’s Sunset Motel
Contact Gil 401.364.3321
Price range $85 to $150
Other options: Shelter Harbor Inn Contact Kim Baruti – 401.322.8883
Weekapaug Inn – 888.852.5110
If you’re looking for an exciting fishing excursion, then this is the trip for you!
Check out the fleet for our unique bottom fishing experience from Rhode Island and fish for these delightful, tasty fish!
- Fish for codfish, blackfish, sea bass, tautog, & scup on a well equipped vessel with the latest in fishing finding technology.
- Enjoy superior service and instructionfrom an expert crew that will guide you to a successful fishing experience.
- Learn all kinds of fishing techniques, tackle rigging, bait selection, netting or gaffing, and even top of the line fish cleaning.
Come one, come all – all ages and levels of experience are welcome aboard the Island Current Fleet. You don’t want to miss this one of a kind ocean adventure!
Trips will last approximately 10 hours, giving you plenty of time to land the largest codfish, sea bass, scup, & tautog!
Aboard the ISLAND CURRENT FLEET we use only the finest tackle available on the market and all tackle is included. Our bottom fishing outfits consist of 6′ PROFILE SERIES rods matched with PENN JIGMASTER REELS spooled with 50 lb. pink Ande line.
Hooks 7/0 Octopus Style or Blackfish style Hooks and Bank Sinkers 12 oz. to 24 oz. are also supplied FREE of charge. (sinker deposit required)
CODFISH DIAMOND jigs can be purchased on board.
What Is Not Included?
Food and beverages are not included in the ticket price. Please bring your own food and beverages, or extra cash for our full service galley!
Snug Harbor Marina (Wakefield, RI)(Exact meeting location details will be provided immediately upon purchase of tickets.)
Rhode Island Cod Fishing
Atlantic Cod fishing could be the break you need, right down the shore. Even better, Island Current offers the best Rhode Island cod fishing right down the shore. All you need to do is show up, we will handle the rest.
Rhode Island Waters Attract Cod
Waters off the coast of Rhode Island are especially known for having large populations of Atlantic Cod. Several different factors draw cod into the frigid waters off the Rhode Island coast.
- Cold Water – Cod love waters with a cooler temperature so they naturally head for the cool waters of New England.
- Prey – Cod are big predators of all types and sizes of fish. The fish cod eat just happen to be native to the waters off of Rhode Island. This helps a lot attract the cod and bait for the cod.
- Rocky Bottomed and Shipwrecked Waters- Cod like to hide and wait for their prey. The rocky bottomed ocean floor and shipwrecks provide excellent hunting grounds for cod to catch its prey.
- Spawning – Every winter, thousands of adult cod are drawn to Rhode Island waters due to the cool temperatures, plentiful prey and excellent hunting grounds. The result is lots of cod available for catching.
- Fishing Close to Shore- Rhode Island waters provide abundant opportunities for cod fishing close to the shore, unlike most other cod fishing areas. You’ll never have to go too far or fish deep water here. These shallow waters allow beginners to start fishing cod.
The Perfect Fish for Every Fisherman
Beginners and seasoned anglers can both enjoy catching a cod. Since these fish are caught closer to the shore, having personal fishing experience is not as important as it is with deep ocean fishing. Also, cod don’t put up much of a struggle. Reeling in a cod feels more like snagging a boot or log. Even novices can catch a cod. Cod still attract a lot of experienced anglers due to their size.
These omnivorous fish can have an average weight in pounds from the mid-teens to the high twenties. It isn’t completely unheard of for fishermen to reel in fish as big as 60lbs. Even though they don’t put up as much of a fight, you’ll need the right equipment, great bait, personal skill or an experienced crew to help wrangle this fish. With Island Current you can start fishing right away, all you have to do is dress warmly. We supply all the necessities, including:
- Fresh Bait (some of it cut even while you fish)
- Experienced Crew
- Cleaning of the fish
The only thing Island Current doesn’t supply is the clothing, so it is important to know what to wear.
Dress for Winter Fishing
For winter fishing, you must dress in layers, lots of layers. Layered clothing not only keeps you warm, it also helps you adjust to the weather and protect against dampness. Hats and gloves are absolutely necessary. Hats protect heat from escaping through your scalp. Gloves protect hands from chapping or, worse, having a degree of frost-bite. Experience anglers suggest wearing something with pockets or a pouch, which warm hands even more than gloves. The right clothes can be the difference between catching a great fish and watching everyone else from inside a cabin.
Start Your Fishing Trip Now
The Island Current Rhode Island crew can guide you from start to victorious finish. We have a friendly and experienced crew who can tell you when to bait fish and when to jig. Their experience helps them know when to drift and when to anchor. We are ready to start your cod fishing experience today, book online or call 917-417-7557. You could have fresh fish for dinner tonight.
Location on Map
Snug Harbor Marina
410 Gooseberry rd
Wakefield, RI 02879